I absolutely love a light pink rose sauce. It’s a simple and creamy twist to regular spaghetti night and such a crowd pleaser. Chanterelles are so unique and I wanted to feature them in something simple and tasty. After learning that the flavourful compounds are best activated in oil or cream, I decided to include them in this recipe. This recipe also has a lot of versatility as I’ve added shrimp or left-over diced chicken. For a lower fat content, swap coffee cream instead of heavy cream for great results.
Penne with Pink Vodka Sauce + Smoked Chanterelles
1 lb penne pasta, cooked al dente
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
½ can of crushed tomatoes
1 jar of regular tomato sauce
½ cup vodka
2 tbsp fresh parsley (or basil)
½ cup heavy cream
Optional: 1 ½ – 2 cups of shrimp or sliced chicken
1. Soak mushrooms in ½ cup water for 20 minutes, turning them every few minutes for equal rehydration.
2. Remove chanterelles from soaking water, squeeze them gently, and dice finely.
3. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta.
4. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, and sauté the onions and garlic. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for approximately 1 minute, add crushed tomatoes and mushrooms.
5. Add the vodka and a pinch of salt and pepper, simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes over medium-low heat.
6. Add the cream and lower the heat, add drained pasta and toss in parsley.
7. Stir to coat well and grate a generous amount of cheese into the pasta.
8. Serve with more parmesan and red pepper flakes to taste.
Contributed by Raichelle Hum in Toronto, ON